Friday, December 11, 2009

Do you define who you are by what you do?

How much value do you attach to your job title - how well does it reflect your level of influence.  Years ago, a friend said something I found worthy of remembering.  I had been asked to speak to a C-level on behalf of other more-senior managers because even though my level of 'authority' was limited, they felt my level of 'influence' was great.

When I questioned that assertion, she used the following analogy (and this conversation took place during the administration of Ronald Reagan). "While Donald Regan may have a great deal of authority, he has very little influence; Nancy Reagan, on the other hand, while having no authority, has unlimited influence.

So my question is - do you consider yourself influential and do you use that influence to help others?

No comments:

Post a Comment